Friday, January 22, 2010

Support Haiti

This is old news by now, but I just wanted to share with everyone that if you haven't supported Haiti either financially or otherwise, consider this:

My little community, where the average daily wage is about $5, is raising funds through their local church to send to their hermanos in Haiti. They are poor, but they are not desperate. The Panamanian government, in fact, has also sent in 22 rescue workers and 15 tons of food and medical supplies.

As many of you know, Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. It is a nation that is all too often torn apart by national disasters and political instability.

My dear friend, Alex Cottin, is in Haiti now, working on the relief effort. He works for Merlin, an international nonprofit working to bring medical care and services to countries devastated by conflict, disease and disaster. Although I promised I would not be soliciting more financial support, I urge everyone to chip in for this cause. Click HERE to learn more about Merlin and donate.


If the wonderful people of Cerro Iglesias can give a little, you can too!

(Below: Text message donation that I sent to Haiti: $0.50 at a time)

1 comment:

Lex said...

Kat, you are a wonderful person... I'm so lucky to have you as a friend and the people of Cerro Iglesias as well! Thank you so much - this made my day!