Sunday, April 27, 2008

One week of training in the Peace Corps is equivalent to 1 month of regular life. At least in the beginning. Last Sunday we moved in with host families in a small, rural town outside of Panama City. We spent every day this week having 4 hours of technical training in the morning and about 4 hours of language training in the afternoon. After ´school´we are encouraged to hang out with our families to practice language skills and start soaking up the culture.

I do not have enough time to explain all the details of my new life, so I will just run through a few highlights:

-My host family is awesome (stories and photos coming soon)!
-We live in the land of milk and honey! The following can be found within site of my house: mango, banana, plantain, orange, mandarin, coconut, avocado, cashews, yucca and more that do not have English names.
-Panamanian love chorizo (AKA deep fried HotDogs). The gringos are having a harder time adjusting to the fried spam and triple carbs diet (ironic if you consider the milk and honey comment)
-The technical training is going great so far! I find out where my site will be in 3 weeks, Ill keep you all posted as I find out more!
-Oh yeah, we have a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole that is about a 15 minute walk from town!

Life is good. Ciao for now!

No comments: